TORR, Cecil, Ed PODLECKI, Anthony J. TARN, W.W. COOK, A.B, ListingsIf you cannot find what you want on this page, then please use our search feature to search all our listings.
Click on Title to view full description
TORR, Cecil, ed PODLECKI, Anthony J. TARN, W.W. COOK, A.B, Ancient Ships. First American Edition
Argonaut, 1964, 1964
TORR, Cecil. Ancient Ships; edited with an introduction by Anthony J. Podlecki; with an appendix containing a series of articles on the Greek warship and the Greek Trireme by W.W. Tarn, A.B. Cook, Cecil Torr, Wigham Richardson and Philip H. Newman. Chicago: Argonaut, 1964. First US Edition. Pp (4),[v]-xvi,-222 + many b&w plates. With other illustrations in the text. 8vo (144 x 215 mm), blue cloth, gilt lettering to spine.
In the Argonaut Library of Antiquities series.
Cecil Torr (b. October 11, 1857, Islington, Middlesex - d. December 17, 1928, Lustleigh, Devon).
A collection of scholarly texts anatomizing ancient Greek ships and seafaring.
1. Ships with Oars: the oars arranged in banks -- number of oars in each bank -- auxiliary oars on sailing-ships;
2. Dimensions of the ships;
3. Tonnage of the ships;
4. Materials for ship-building: timber -- tar, paint, wax, etc. -- metal;
5. Structure of the hull: keel, ribs, skin, waling-pieces -- cables for strengthening sides -- port-holes in the sides -- beams, etc., in the interior -- superstructure and upper decking -- lower decks, forecastle and poop -- deck-houses and turrets -- ballast and bilge -- the ram and its auxiliaries -- figure-heads, etc.;
6. Anchors and cabling;
8. Rigging: on ships of early date -- in the Athenian navy -- on ships of later times -- materials and colours of the sails;
9. Flags and lights;
10. Sounding-lead, log, etc.;
11. Ship's boat.
With appendices and index.
W.W. Tarn on "The Greek Warship";
Cecil Torr's "Critical Notes on the Greek Warship";
and a selection of pieces on triremes by Arthur Bernard Cook, Wigham Richardson, Cecil Torr, W.W. Tarn, and Philip Newman.
Ex-library (pouch removed from rear, a couple of stamps) else very good, clean, tight. 45.00
Add to Shopping Cart