Title:Eliza of Pleasant Valley: Her Family, Church, and Community in Nineteenth Century Cornwallis Township, Kings County, Nova Scotia. First Edition, Signed
Seller ID: 20407
DAVISON, James Doyle. Eliza of Pleasant Valley : Her Family, Church, and Community in Nineteenth Century Cornwallis Township, Kings County, Nova Scotia. Wolfville, Nova Scotia : Published by the Author, (1983). "Printed in Canada by Lancelot Press Limited, Hantsport, N.S." Pp (3),i-xii,(1),-188,(2). Illustrated with a few drawings, b&w photos, &c in the text. 8vo, art-and photo-illustrated pale yellow cardcovers with black lettering to front cover & spine.
James Doyle Davison (b. January 19, 1910, Moncton, New Brunswick - d. October 9, 2003, Wolfville, Nova Scotia).
Eliza Ann Chipman, née Chipman (b. July 3, 1807, Cornwallis Township, Kings County, Nova Scotia - d. October 23, 1853, Pleasant Valley (Berwick North), Kings County, Nova Scotia) . See DCB, Volume 8.
Preface; Foreword by Margaret Conrad; Tribute to Eliza Ann Chipman [a poem by D.O. Parker, David Otho Parker, 1830-1906)];
1. Beginning of Pleasant Valley: Settlement and Settlers -- The Land -- Customs -- The Chipman Family -- Some Families of Pleasant Valley.
2. Eliza of Cornwallis: Eliza Began Her Diary -- Diary of Mary Ann Norris -- William Chipman's First Wife -- Eliza Became Mrs. William Chipman -- The Wedding.
3. Eliza of Pleasant Valley: A Minister's Wife -- The Meetinghouse -- The Church's Larger Interests -- Motherhood -- Women's Sphere -- Trying to Please God -- Sabbath School -- The Community Relationships.
4. Years of Trial: Illness and Death -- More Family Cares -- The Schooling for Children -- Other Communications -- The Chipman Family At School -- Isaac Chipman Drowned -- Her Final Illness, Death.
5. Tributes to Eliza of Pleasant Valley: Testimonials and Funeral -- Memoir of Mrs. Eliza Ann Chipman.
6. Eliza Chipman's Family Connections.
Spine slightly sunned, some light soiling to covers, else very good. Signed, without inscription, by the author on the title page. 30.00