Title: An Illustrated History of Nova Scotia. First Edition
Publisher:  Nimbus Publishing Limited, Halifax, 1997, ISBN:1551092190 1997
ISBN Number: 1551092190 / 9781551092195
Seller ID: 23130
BRUCE, Harry. An Illustrated History of Nova Scotia. (Halifax) : "Co-published by Nimbus Publishing Limited and The Province of Nova Scotia", (1997). First Edition. Pp (8),9-300. Illustrated throughout. Large 8vo, reddish-brown art-illustrated cardcovers, French flaps.
Harry Bruce (b. 1934) journalist and author of many books.
"Although Nova Scotia is Canada's second smallest province, its history is undoubtedly the most complicated, and probably the most horrendous of all. It was to this province's rocky soil and surrounding ocean that the two superpowers of the sixteenth century, France and England, transported their struggle for power and supremacy; it was here that an ancient and peaceful society, the Mi'kmaq, were exploited, corrupted and hunted almost to extinction; it was here that the cohesive Acadians, France's first colonists in the New World, lost their desperate experiment with neutrality and were torn asunder. It was on this rocky soil that the privileged Loyalists in the American war for independence struggled to re-establish themselves, where the German Protestants, the Scots and Irish came to escape persecution and pverty, and where the underprivileged Blacks sought a new freedom." - from the front flap.
1. The Ice Leaves. Humans Arrive;
2. A Man From Venice Finds the Shores of Canada;
3. The Man from Saint-Malo Who Mapped an Inland Sea;
4. The Birth of Acadia ;
5. Port-Royal: A Foothold for France;
6. English Raids, French Intrigues, Scottish Heartbreaks;
7. The Feud Begins;
8. The Woman Warrior of Fort La Tour;
9. Acadia: A Punching Bag for New England;
10. Fortress Louisbourg: Magnificent Folly;
11. An Army of Amateurs Conquers the Unconquerable;
12. Britain's Answer to Louisbourg: Halifax;
13. Acadians Banished, Louisbourg Falls—Again ;
14. "Halifax Had Ceased to be Nova Scotia";
15. Nova Scotia Says "No Thanks" to Revolution;
16. Loyalists: The Great Deluge;
17. Abused Blacks Flee, Poor Scots Arrive;
18. The Age of Johnny Wentworth;
19. The War of 1812: Wasteful, Bloody, Ludicrous;
20. It Was Joe Howe by Day and by Night;
21. 1815-1850: The Great Awakening;
22. Steamships, Railways, a Good War for Nova Scotia;
23. The Tempestuous Creation of a Brand-new Nation;
24. As the Century Turned ;
25. Johnny Came Marching Home — to an Angry Nova Scotia;
26. The Roaring Twenties Just Didn't Roar;
27. Rum-Running : "Employers of the Last Resort";
28. Hope Shines Through the Dirty Thirties;
29. Nova Scotia Goes to War — Again;
30. The Postwar Bust. Weathering a Crisis.
With notes, bibliography and index.
Very good. 14.00