RODGERS, William Ledyard
Title: Greek and Roman Naval Warfare : A Study of Strategy, Tactics, and Ship Design from Salamis (480 B.C.) to Actium (31 B.C.). First Edition, Signed.
Publisher:  Naval Institute, 1937, 1937
Seller ID: 29616
RODGERS, William Ledyard. Greek and Roman Naval Warfare : A Study of Strategy, Tactics, and Ship Design from Salamis (480 B.C.) to Actium (31 B.C.). Annapolis, Maryland : United States Naval Institute, 1937. First Edition. Pp 555. Illustrated. 8vo, blue cloth, gilt decoration to front, gilt lettering on front & spine.
William Ledyard Rodgers (b. February 4, 1860, Washington, D.C., United States – d. May 7, 1944, Bethesda, Maryland) USN admiral and historian.
"Together with the strategic and tactical account of the wars there is an examination of what kinds of men-of-war nations had at various times in order to act as they are alleged to have done. ...The literary records as to ancient ships are supplemented by many archaeological remains: vase-paintings, wall paintings, mosaics, and sculptures; but, in spite of all these data, students disagree greatly as to what a triere (for example) was really like. As the practice of shipbuilding in the Mediterranean embodied a continuous tradition, we may with advantage draw inferences from the construction of medieval and later rowing ships of which we have full accounts, and apply these to earlier ships." -from the Preface.
1. Objectives of Naval Warfare.
2. Greco-Persian War - Marathon.
3. Greco-Persian Wars - Salamis and Mycale.
4. Peloponesian War.
5. Dionysius - Sicily and Carthage.
6. The Pentere and Its Oars.
7. Exercises and Stratagems of the Greek Fleets.
8. Alexander's Naval Campaigns.
9. Naval Wars of Alexander's Successors.
10. First Punic War.
11. Second Punic War.
12. War of Rhodes and Pergamum against Macedon.
13. War of Rome and Antiochus.
14. Naval Warfare in the First Century B.C.
15. Naval Wars of Caesar, 49-45 B.C.
16. Campaign of Philippi, 42 B.C.
17. Sicilian War, 38-36 B.C.
18. Campaign of Actium 31 B.C.
Cloth lightly rubbed, else very good. Signed by author. 250.00