Title: Whitehaven Harbour. First Edition in dustjacket.
Publisher:  Phillimore, Chichester, Sussex, 1994, ISBN:0850339170 1994
ISBN Number: 0850339170 / 9780850339178
Seller ID: 88868
SCOTT-HINDSON, Brian. Whitehaven Harbour. (Chichester, Sussex) : Phillimore, (1994). First Edition. Pp (6),v-ix,(3),1-196, frontispiece + folding plate at rear of an 1834 view of the harbour. With many b&w photos and other illustrations in the text. Maps. Index. Large 8vo, blue cloth, gilt lettering to spine.
Brian Scott-Hindson (b. 1925, Huddersfield).
"Whitehaven was a tiny isolated fishing village before the Dissolution, belonging to the Priory of St Bees. This new book traces the its surprising rise to become one of the seven most important ports in the kingdom, following its acquisition by the Lowther family, in 1600. The construction of the several piers and quays is described, from the erection of the first 'peere' in 1634 by Sir Christopher Lowther to the building of the Queen's Dock, opened in 1876. The part played by the harbour in the local economy is explored, from the export of coal, especially to Dublin, through the development of a thriving trade with the New World, importing tobacco, sugar and spirits in exchange for manufactured goods — and slaves — to the growth of a significant shipbuilding industry.
Among the historic incidents in the narrative is an account of the armed attack on Whitehaven by John Paul Jones, the last invasion of the English mainland in more than two centuries. In addition to explaining the role of the Lowther family in the growtn of the town and harbour, as the landowners and Lords of the Manor, the book provides a definitive account of the work of the Board of Trustees of the Town and Harbour for nearly two hundred years and of their successors, the Board of Commissioners of Whitehaven Harbour, whose centenary falls in 1994. The entire Whitehaven venture provides an unusual, indeed unique story in English industrial, maritime and urban history, recounted in detail in this book. It is a significant contribution to the published history of Cumberland and will be compulsive reading in Whitehaven." - from the jacket.
Foreword by the Earl of Lonsdale;
Part One – The 18th Century.
1. Acts of Parliament and the Building of the Harbour.
2. Harbour Improvements in the Later 18th Century.
3. Day by Day Operations – 18th Century.
4. Trade through Whitehaven Harbour.
5. The Coal Staithes and Hurries, and the Fortification.
6. John Paul Jones and the Raid on Whitehaven.
7. The Spedding Family.
Part Two – The 19th Century.
8. The Development of the Harbour 1802-22.
9. Harbour Development 1824-58.
10. Town Administration and Acts of Parliament 1859-76.
11. Incorporation 1885-94.
12. Day by Day Operations – 19th Century.
13. Trade through Whitehaven Harbour.
14. Steam Tugs, Lifeboats and Fortifications.
15. John Peile, 1776-1855.
Part Three – The 20th Century.
16. The 20th Century.
A. Plans for Improvement;
B. Owners of the Whitehaven Estates.
Corners lightly bumped, else very good in price-clipped dustjacket. 50.00