Quantity: 3 available
SNOWIE, J. Allan. The Bonnie : H.M.C.S. Bonaventure. Foreword by Vice-Admiral J.C. "Scruffy" O'Brien. Erin, Ontario : Boston Mills Press, (1987). First Edition. Pp (2),-336. Illustrated throughout with drawings, b&w and colour photos and cartoons including one by Robert 'Bob' Chambers. Small folio, blue cloth, gilt lettering to front & spine.
"Canadians are often in search of their elusive identity — who are we? what are we? Operating a British-built ship and flying American-designed aircraft in a European NATO commitment, the 1,300 plus officers and men of HMCS Bonaventure were a magnificent microcosm ot Canadianism in the late 1950s and throughout the 1960s, carrying Canadian policy into the cold war between East and West.
Bonaventure was not always comfortable, the aircraft were not always serviceable, and the weather often made the whole job impossible, but, these Canadians persevered. They inhabited the often unliveable spaces of the ship and made it home. They wrought greater mission successes from the aircraft than did other nations and they held out against the North Atlantic with as much hardiness as their immigrant forefathers had shown in braving the New World's harsh climes.
In spite of having the world's longest coastline, Canada is not a maritime nation. Yet, given time and experience at sea, Canadians have stood second to none in naval ability as was proven during the Second World War. In naval aviation, it was proven during the era of Bonaventure." - from the dj.
1. LSO Briefing;
2. Our Ship : "Non por nos toz Seus";
3. Our Men : Jolly Jack of the RCN;
4. Ourselves : Officers Firstly; Aviators Secondly;
5. A Willing Foe and Sea Room : Canadian Naval Aviation to 1956;
6. PRCNTR Belfast : The Background and the Building of a Flagship;
7. Captain H.V.W. Groos, CD, RCN : 17 January 1957 to 14 January 1958;
8. Captain W.M. Landymore, OBE, CD, RCN : 15 January 1958 to 11 September 1959;
9. Captain J.C. O'Brien, CD, RCN : 11 September 1959 to 29 August 1961;
10. Captain F.C. Frewer, CD, RCN : 30 August 1961 to 06 August 1963;
11. Captain R.W. Timbrell, DSC, CD, RCN : 7 August 1963 to 1 April 1965;
12. Captain H.A. Porter, CD, RCN : 2 April 1965 to 31 July 1966;
13. Commander A.T. Bice, CD, RCN : 1 August 1966 to 20 November 1966;
14. Captain R.H. Falls, CD, RCN : 21 November 1966 to 30 March 1969;
15. Captain J.M. Cutts, CD, RCN : 31 March 1969 to 8 January 1970;
16. A Sickly Season: The Fall 1969;
17. A Last Hurrah : 12 December 1969;
18. Commander H.W. Vondette, CD, RCN : January 1970 to 3 July 1970;
19. In Memorial - Absent Friends;
A. Bonnie Music;
B. Bonaventure Sister Ships;
C. Family Tree of Canadian-Opertated Aircraft Carriers;
D. Exectutive Officers and Bonaventure Statistics.
With a bibliography.
Previous owner's name inked to flyleaf, else very good in very lightly nicked dustjacket. 125.00
Title: Bonnie : H.M.C.S. Bonaventure. First Edition in dustjacket
Publisher: Boston Mills Press, Erin, ON, 1987, ISBN:0919783406: 1987
ISBN Number: 0919783406
ISBN Number 13: 9780919783409
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 6482