Quantity: 1 available
MOORE, A.W. Manx Names, or, The Surnames and Place-Names of the Isle of Man. With a Preface by Professor Rhys. Second Edition, Revised. London : Elliot Stock, 62, Paternoster Row, , E.C., 1903. Pp [i]-xvi,1-261,(3). Index. 8vo (143 x 198 mm), green cloth, gilt lettering & designs to front board & spine, top edge trimmed, others untrimmed.
Arthur William Moore, CVO, SHK, JP, MA (b. February 6, 1853, Cronkborne, Braddan – d. November 12, 1909, Douglas) a Manx scholar and former Speaker of the House of Keys in the Isle of Man.
Sir John Rhys
Author's Preface to the First Edition
Preface to the Second Edition;
1. Surnames of Celtic Origin Derived from Personal Names.
2. Surnames from Celtic Origin from Trades or Occupations;
from Descriptive Nicknames;
from Designation of Birthplace, etc.
3. Surnames of Scandinavian Origin.
4. Exotic Surnames.
5. Names Obsolete Before Written Records.
1. Generic Terms for Topographical Features.
2. Names of Divisions of Land, not Topographical.
3. Distinctive Affixes.
4. Generic Terms for Topographical Features.
5. Names of Divisions of Land, not Topographical.
6. Distinctive Affixes.
7. English Names.
Light wear to spine ends & corners, penned gift inscription from July 1914, a few tiny nicks to outer margins of some early leaves, else very good. 75.00
Title: Manx Names or the Surnames and Place-Names of the Isle of Man. With a Preface by Professor Rhys. Second Edition, Revised.
Publisher: Elliot Stock, London, 1903,: 1903
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 95271