Quantity: 1 available
WILSON, William. Newfoundland and Its Missionaries. In Two Parts. To which is added a Chronological Table of all the Important Events that have occured on the Island. Cambridge, Mass.: Printed by Dakin & Metcalf / Halifax, N.S.: Sold at the Weslayan Book Room, 1866. Pp (4),[iii]-xii,(4),17-448,(2). 8vo, brown pressed cloth.
O'Dea 723, TPL 6242, Watters 856, Morley p.59, Rhodenizer p.360.
A detailed account of the rise of Methodism in Newfoundland. Also much of wider interest as seen in the following chapter headings :
1. Geographical Position and Area. St. John's. Topography of the Coasts. Distances to the Principal Towns.
2. Interior. Hills. Lakes. Mineralogy. Geology. Climate. Soil. Vegetable and Animal Kingdom.
3. Discovery. History. Fishing Admirals.
4. Displanting the inhabitants. St.John's Captured. French in Placentia. St.John's captured a second time. Governor Osborne. Surrogate Courts. St.John's captured a third time. Great Storm. Admiral Richery. First Newspaper. St.John's burned. The Rals. Sir Thomas Cochrane. First Parliament. Steamers. Visit of the Prince of Wales.
4. Methodism in Old Perlican - John Haskins Arrives - Writes to Mr. Wesley - Preaches - Persecution in Trinity - Mr. Streetons Writes to Mr. Wesley for a Preacher - His Reply - Arrival of John McGeary - Early Methodist Preachers - [...];
5. John McGeary - Visit of Rev. William Black - George Smith - William Thoresby - John Remmington - William Ellis - Samuel McDowell - William Ward - Sampson Busby [...];
6. Newfoundland District - Plan for the Management of the Missions - Bay Circuits - St. John's Circuit - Great Fire - Citizens of Boston - Bonavista Circuit - Persection - The Fishery (pp.202-214) - The Winter Season;
7. Sabbath-Breaking - Anecdote of Mrs. Locke - The Carbonear Captain - John Pickavant - John Lewis - Methodism in Burin - Thomas Hickson - James Hickson - Station for 1817 - New Circuits - Harbour Grace - Trinity - Western Bay - Fortune Bay - Hants' Harbour - .Captain Vicars - Hedley Vicars - Sabbath Schools;
10. Seals and the Seal Fishery - Varieties of the Seal - Outfit of the Sealers - Religious Services - Anecdote - Method of Taking Seals - Sabbath-Breaking at the Ice - Return of Vessels - Numbers of Seals Taken - Numbers of Vessels Employed - Size and Character of Sealing-Vessels (pp. 273-287);
11. Mission to the Labrador Indians - Moravian Mission - Adam Clark Avard - Newfoundland District - Thomas Hickson's Mission - Richard Knight's Mission - George Ellidge's Mission - Charles Bate - Withdrawal of the Mission (pp.208-304).
12. The Red Indians - Their Habits - Killed by White Men - Attack a Party of White Men - Captain Buchan - Mary March - Three Lost Indians Seen - Shanandithit (305-318);
13. Stations for 1825 - Conference Death-Roll- William Croscombe - Simeon Noall - Charles Bate - John Corlett - Merciful Preservation of the Writer - Stations for 1828 - John Tomkins - John Smithies - Joseph Butterworth - Dr. [James] Townley - Missionary Income for 1828.
14. Travelling - Summer Travelling - Winter Travelling.
15. Customs. Modes of Transport. Drinking Habits. Houses. Gardens - Weddings - Funerals - Literature - Education - C.F. Allison - Sackville Academy - St. John's Academy;
16. Churches - Preaching - Singing - Sabbath Schools - Prayer Meetings - Religious State - Stations for 1836 - Malignant Quinsy - Revival in Bird Island Cove - Famine; .
With an index.
Rebacked, with original spine laid-over, some wear & discolouration to cloth, else very good. A few patches of foxing, but generally very good and clean. 600.00
Title: Newfoundland and Its Missionaries In Two Parts. To which is added a Chronological Table of all the Important Events that have occured on the Island. First Edition
Publisher: Cambridge, Mass. / Halifax, 1866,: 1866
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 3942