Quantity: 1 available
TABOURET-KELLER, Andrée, Robert B. Le PAGE, Penelope GARDNER-CHLOROS, and Gabrielle VARRO (eds.). Vernacular Literacy : A Re-Evaluation. By members ofThe International Group for the Study of Language Standardization and the Vernacularization of Literacy (IGLSVL). Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1997. Pp [i]-xii,-367,(5). Index. 8vo, white card covers.
Oxford Studies in Anthropological Linguistics, No. 13.
Contents : Introduction (by R.B. Le Page).
Part One - General Issues: Political, Economic, Social, Orthographic, Pedagogical.
1. Political and Economic Aspects of Vernacular Literacy (by R. B. Le Page).
2. Social Contexts Conducive to the Vernacularization of Literacy (by Lawrence D. Carrington).
3. Developing Ways of Writing Vernaculars: Problems and Solutions in a Historical Perspective (by Philip Baker).
4. Pedagogical Aspects of Vernacular Literacy (by Jeannine Gerbault).
Part Two - Cases from Migrant Settings in Europe;
East, Central, and West Africa;
East, South, and South-East Asia;
Pidgin- and Creole-Speaking Communities.
5. Vernacular Literacy in New Minority Settings in Europe (by Penelope Gardner-Chloros).
6. Literacy in a Pidgin Vernacular (by Jean-Michel Charpentier).
7. Motivations and Attitudes Influencing Vernacular Literacy: Four African Assessments (by Ralph W. Fasold).
8. Tradition, Trial, and Error: Standard and Vernacular Literacy in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia (by Anna Kwan-Terry and K. K. Luke).
Conclusion (by Andrée Tabouret-Keller).
Very good. 35.00
Title: Vernacular Literacy : A Re-Evaluation. By members of The International Group for the Study of Language Standardization and the Vernacularization of Literacy (IGLSVL). Oxford Studies in Anthropological Linguistics, No. 13.
Publisher: Clarendon Press / Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997, ISBN:0198237138: 1997
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 99360