Quantity: 1 available
ODEBERG, Hugo. 3 Enoch, or The Hebrew Book of Enoch. Edited and Translated for the First Time with Introduction, Commentary and Critical Notes by Hugo Odeberg. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1928. First Edition. Pp (8), [ix]-x,(2),-179,(3),-,(2),-(34),(3). 8vo (167 x 234 mm), black cloth, with gilt lettering to spine.
Dustjacket adds the subtitle: "The complete Hebrew Book of Enoch has never been printed before. The present edition is based on a Bodleian MS, entitled 'Book of Enoch by R. Ishmael ben Elisha, High Priest'."
Hugo Odeberg, Ph.D. (b. May 7, 1898, Åmåls församling, Åmål, Sweden - d. December 22, 1973, St. Peter's Monastery, Lund) was a professor of theology at the University of Lund in Sweden at the time of publication.
The text is divided into four parts:
1. Abbreviations employed;
2. Sources and Literature;
A. Hebrew and Aramaic;
B. Other Literature;
3. MSS. and printed books containing the Hebrew Book of Enoch or parts of it;
4. The mutual relations and affinities of the MSS. and other sources;
5. Short Survey of the Contents of the Hebrew Book of Enoch;
6. Quotations of and references to 3 Enoch;
7. Origin and date of composition of the Hebrew Book of Enoch and its relation to cognate mystical writings;
(a) Ideas and expressions of 1 Enoch recurring in 3 Enoch;
(b) Parallels between and cognate conceptions in 2 Enoch and 3 Enoch;
(c) Similarities between Mandaitic Literature and 3 Enoch;
8. The conceptions of Metatron in 3 Enoch;
9. The references to Metatron found in Talmud, Midras and Targum;
10. The conceptions of Metatron in related mystical and apocalyptic literature;
A. In I Ap. Ism., the Hekalop works and 1 and 2 Leg. Martyrs;
B. In the the Hekalop Zoterapi and Si'ur Qoma;
C. In the writings associating Metatron particularly with Moses;
D. In A. R. 'Aq., Rev. Sim. b. Yohai, 2 Ap. Ism., etc.;
11. Survey of the conceptions of Metatron in later mystical literature;
12. Origin of the word 'METATRON';
13. Origin of the conception of Metatron;
14. The Angelology of 3 Enoch;
A. The Angelology of A I (chh. 19-22, 25-28);
B. The Angelology of A 2 (ch. 17);
C. The Angelology of A 3 (ch. 18);
D. The Angelology of chh. 28 - 48 A;
E. The Angelology of the Enoch-Metatron pieces (chh. 3-16, 48 B-D), and of chh. 23, 24;
F. The Angelology of the additional pieces chh. 22 B, 22 C and 15 B;
15. The quasi-physical aspects of the 'Arabop Raqia ', the Maerkaba and the Kisse ha-k Kabod ; the 'Divine Letters and Names';
16. The conception of Spirit and Soul. Fate of the spirits and souls;
17. The Divine Judgement;
18. The performance of the celestial songs, esp. the Qedussa ;
II. Translation & Notes.
III. Hebrew Text with Critical Notes.
I. Index to the Hebrew Text;
II. Index and Vocabulary to the English Translation;
III. Index of Numbers occurring in the Text;
IV. Index of Scriptural Passages quoted.
Light rubbing to cloth else very good in soiled but complete dustjacket. 400.00
Title: 3 Enoch, or The Hebrew Book of Enoch. First Edition in dustjacket
Publisher: Cambridge University Press: 1928
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 116523