Quantity: 1 available
ANDRIEUX, J.P. Rumrunners : The Smugglers from St. Pierre and Miquelon and the Burin Peninsula from Prohibition to Present Day. St. John's : Flanker Press Ltd., 2009. First Printing. Pp (6),vii-viii,(2),1-229,(1). Illustrated with b&w photos throughout. Index. 8vo, brown photo-illustrated card covers.
Jean-Pierre Andrieux, OC (b. Montréal) St. John's businessman, author.
"Rumrunners is a history of the smuggling trade between the French Island colonies of St. Pierre and Miquelon and the United States, the Bahamas, and Newfoundland. The distribution of contraband alcohol has always been an element of the culture of Newfoundland and Labrador. However, with the advent of the American Prohibition era (1919–1933), the French Islands’ illegal practice took on worldwide proportions. This book details the rise and fall of the bootlegging industry in Atlantic waters, the efforts made by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to curb these criminal activities, and the evolution of laws from the Prohibition era to present day that have brought the trade to a virtual standstill." - from the back cover.
The chapters [unnumbered in the text] are :
1. Prohibition Sets the Stage;
2. Early Smuggling to Canada and Newfoundland;
3. McCoy Discovers St. Pierre [Bill McCoy = [William 'Bill' Frederick McCoy, b. 1877, Syracuse, New York - d. December 30, 1948, Stuart, Florida];
4. The Whisky Flood Commences;
5. Canadian Distillers and Their Sales Agents;
6. Dimensions of the Liquor Trade;
7. Capone Leaves a Souvenir;
8. Rumrunners Versus the Law ;
9. The Coast Guard's War on Rumrunners;
10. Piracy: An Ever-Present Threat;
11. Murder and Its Aftermath; 12. Handwriting on the Wall;
13. The Coming of Repeal;
14.The Kromhout Incident;
15. Postscript to Prohibition;
16. Newfoundland Rumrunmng;
17. Rumrunners Kidnap an RCMP Officer;
18. Operation Blowtorch;
19. Smuggling in 1991;
20. Smuggling in 1992;
21. Smuggling in 1993;
22. Smuggling in 1994;
23. Smuggling in 1995;
24. Operation Buffer;
25. Operation Diamond.
With Afterword, bibliography, and index.
Very good. Signed, without inscription, by Andrieux. 15.00
Title: Rumrunners : The Smugglers from St. Pierre and Miquelon and the Burin Peninsula from Prohibition to Present Day. First Edition, Signed
Publisher: Flanker Press, St. John's , 2009, ISBN:9781897317488:
ISBN Number: 1897317484
ISBN Number 13: 9781897317488
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 84032