Quantity: 2 available
FITZPATRICK, Deanne. Hook Me a Story : The History and Method of Rug Hooking in Atlantic Canada. (Halifax, NS): Nimbus Publishing, (1999). First Printing. Pp. (5),[vi]-x,1-86. Illustrated. Square 8vo, illustrated green card covers with cream-coloured spine.
"Rug hooking, one of the oldest and most revered home crafts, has had an amazing revival in Canada's Atlantic provinces over the last decade. No longer needed for their practical use, hooked mats have become a versatile means of decoration as well as an outlet for creative expression, embodying the stories of the artists' personal and cultural lives. In Hook Me a Story, Deanne Fitzpatrick provides an historical background to rug hooking in the four East Coast provinces, illustrates the trends that were unique to each, and introduces the women who rekindled interest in this craft. Most importantly, she tells her own story as a third-generation 'primitive' rug hooker, as a craftsperson, and as an artist. Ever practical, she provides detailed, full-colour illustrations, and instructions on how to design and hook your own rugs." - rear cover. Foreword by Doris Eaton.
The chapters (unnumbered) are :
1. Introduction: An Historical Perspective - Early Settlers Covering Cold Floors;
2. Mat Making in Atlantic Canada: - Newfoundland and Labrador: The Grenfell mats - Rug Hooking in Nova Scotia: The Garretts of New Glasgow - The Cheticamp rugs, and Elizabeth Lefort - Doris Eaton and the Rug Guild of Nova Scotia; New Brunwick;Prince Edward Island ;
3. Hooking Rugs: A Simple Past-itime: - Basic Instr uctions - Rug Hooking Instructions: Hooks - Backings - Frames - Cutters - Gathering the cloth - Wool cloth; Hooking with Yarn and Other Fabrics - Yarn- Nylons - Cottons t-shirts and other fabrics; Caring for Hooked Rugs ;
4. Types of Designs: Geometric designs - Florals Abstract - Animals - Pictori als - Borders - Shapes - Other Ideas for Hooked Rugs ;
5. Colour and Texture in Primitive Rug Making: Colour - Suggestions for using colour - Dying wools for primitive hooking - Tips for dying - Using the washing machine to dye wool - Simmering, bleaching and other methods of dying - Overdying chart; Texture ;
6. The Art of Rug Hooking: Designing Rugs - Adaptations: your early designs - Templates: An old fashioned way to design - Expressing yourself in your designs - Elements of design
7. Beginner Projects : Old Fashioned Roses - Template Project.
With bibliography. Very good. NOTE: Due to its small size, shipping costs should be a bit cheaper than quoted. 25.00
Title: Hook Me a Story : The History and Method of Rug Hooking in Atlantic Canada. First Edition.
Publisher: Nimbus, Halifax, 1999, ISBN:1551092794: 1999
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 35907