Quantity: 1 available
MACLELLAN, Nic and Jean CHESNEAUX. After Moruroa : France in the South Pacific. Melbourne & New York : Ocean Press, (1998). First Printing. Pp (8),-279,(1). With some maps in the text. 8vo (137 x 215 mm), art-illustrated cardcovers, with blue, black & grey lettering to pink spine.
"After Moruroa looks at the history of French colonialism in the Pacific - from the French Revolution to the Matignon Accords in New Caledonia and the end of nuclear testing at Moruroa and Fangataufa atolls.
What is the future for Frances Pacific colonies? As France integrates further with the European Union, can it retain ties with Pacific islands on the other side of the world? How will political changes in New Caledonia and a growing independence movement in French Polynesia impact on Paris?
Nic Maclellan & Jean Cheseaux review the social, cultural, political and environmental impact of France's presence in the region. They document French policy over two centuries, drawing on sources from Europe, Australia and the Pacific.
With France's Grand Design for the Pacific under challenge today, this authoritative study looks at the future for the South Pacificafter Moruroa." - from rear cover.
1. The Pacific as seen from Europe.
2. The Pacific : A French Cultural Dream.
3. From Bougainville's Voyage to the Second World War.
4. From the Second World War to the Fifth Republic.
5. The Fifth Republic : A Grand Design for France in the South Pacific?
6. Moruroa and Fangataufa : A Chapter Closed?
7. French Polynesia in Nuclear Shock.
8. New Caledonia or Kanaky?
9. The Matignon Accords and the Future of Kanak Independence .
10. France's Charm Offensive in the Pacific.
11. After Moruroa : France caught between Europe, Global Markets and the Great Ocean.
With glossary, bibliography, and index.
Very good. 25.00
Title: After Moruroa : France in the South Pacific. First Edition
Publisher: Ocean Press, Melbourne, 1998, ISBN:1876175052: 1998
ISBN Number: 1876175052
ISBN Number 13: 9781876175054
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 102089