Quantity: 1 available
MARRIOTT, Alice. Hell on Horses and Women. With drawings by Margaret Lefranc. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, (1953). First Edition. Pp (6),vii-viii,(4),3-290,(4). 8vo (160 x 234 mm), pale green cloth, with gren lettering to spine, top edge dyed green.
Adams, The Rampaging Herd : A Bibliography of Books and Pamphlets on Men and Events in the Cattle Industry 1443.
Alice Lee Marriott, née Goulding (b. January 8, 1910, Wilmette, Illinois - d. March 18, 1992, Oklahoma City) was living near Santa Fe at the time of publication.
"The cow business is a damn fine business for men and mules, but it's Hell on Horses and Women. So goes an axiom of the cattle country. [...] For more than eighteen montns Alice Marriott traveled the cattle country - from Wyoming to Florida - visiting, observing, and talking with the women on the ranches and with their men. This book is the story of these women, who share with tiieir men-foiks the problems and pleasures of ranch life. It's about the city girl transformed into ranch wife, about the women who were born on ranches, and about their families and the cattle they raise."
: 1. In My Own Voice (Wyoming to Florida, 1951-52).
Part . Where Do They Come From, and What Kind of Women Are They?
2. A Well-stocked Pantry Is the Housewife's Pride (New York - Nevada, 1940).
Part 2. Is Their Life Hell?
3. Give Us This Day... (Colorado, 1936).
4. Blizzard Winter (North Dakota, 1948).
5. The Ordeal (Texas, 1952).
6. This Is the Way We Earn Our Bread (Kansas, 1952).
Part 3. What Are Their Houses Like?
7. This Is the Way We Build Our House (Montana, 1895-1945).
8. The Woman's Touch (Nebraska, 1915-35).
9. The Kitchen (Wyoming, 1936).
Part 4. What Is Their Biggest Problem?
10. This Is the Way We Go to School (Montana, 1950).
11. She Needs Certain Advantages (Arizona, 1952).
Part 5. How Do They Live?
12. The Roundup (Montana, 1950).
13. The Auction (New Mexico, 1951).
14. This Is the Way We Wash Our Clothes (Montana, 1951).
15. The Shopping Trip (Texas, 1948).
16. Old - and Alone (Utah, 1951).
Part 6. What Do They Do with Their Spare Time?
17. This Is the Way We Go to Church (Nebraska, 1952).
18. This Is the Way the Ladies Ride (South Dakota, 1951).
19. They Could All Get Killed (Oklahoma, 1951).
20. Merry Christmas (Montana, 1952).
21. Merrily We Dance and Sing (Wyoming, 1951).
Light smudging to fore-edge, corner of front flyleaf clipped, else very good in poor, worn, torn and chipped, but unclipped, dustjacket. 40.00
Title: Hell on Horses and Women. First Edition in dustjacket
Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 1953,: 1953
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 103933