Quantity: 1 available
DEMONT, John. A Good Day's Work : In Pursuit of a Disappearing Canada. (Toronto) : Doubleday Canada, (2013). First Printing. Pp. (8),1-284,(12). 8vo (150 x 205 mm), brown cloth spine with off-white paper-covered boards, copper lettering to spine.
John DeMont (b. Spring 1956, Halifax).
"'A Good Day's Work' is a lyrical journey through the Canada of our imagination. The Canada of the day before yesterday. The Canada, perhaps, of 1967 - the country's 'last good year', in the words of Pierre Berton.
This is a panoramic view of that far-off land, captured by way of encounters with a blacksmith, a cowgirl, a milkman, a travelling salesman and other custodians of trades from another time. Woven into those stories - which are sometimes strange, sometimes moving, frequently funny, and always engrossing - are the observations and personal reflections of that wonderful writer John DeMont (who as a [Halifax] newspaper reporter and columnist is something of a vanishing tradesman himself).
The iconic Canada - the Canada of the day before yesterday - is a semi-mythological land. But the peoplwe still living there are very real.
Our country is rapidly changing. The Canada of close-knit small towns, of common geography and history, of meaningful work and communal values and institutions, is becoming less and less a reality.
A Good Day's Work is a panoramic view of that Canada, captured in the stories of people who still make their living the old way, and in the prose of one of Canada's finest writers." - from the dustjacket.
1. Across This Land [the railways];
2. Holy Sweet Mother [in New Brunswick's Westmoreland County;
3. The Milkman Cometh [Farmer's Co-operative Dairy, Nova Scotia, with mention of Twin Cities Dairy;
4. Watering Hole for Dreamers [Saskatoon, vinyl record collecting, &c];
5. Every Jeselly One of Them [Paul MacNeill, Montague, Prince Edward Island, newspapers, the Eastern Graphic, &c];
6. Iron Man [Pierre Bedard of Sainte-Justine-de-Newton, Québec];
7. Reading the Grass [near Hanna, Alberta];
8. Life of a Salesman [Steve Forbes of Pontiac, Québec, Noel Kerr of Ottawa, David Epstein of Cape Breton, &c];
9. Showtime [Paul Peterson, of the Mustang Drivei-in, Picton, Ontario];
10. A Trick of the Light [Christine Curtis, and the lighthouse of Dawson Island, British Columbia].
Very good in dustjacket. 16.50
Title: A Good Day's Work : In Pursuit of a Disappearing Canada. First Edition in dustjacket.
Publisher: Doubleday Canada, Toronto, 2013, ISBN:9780385665063: 2013
ISBN Number: 0385665067
ISBN Number 13: 9780385665063
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 104432