Quantity: 1 available
MacINTYRE, Gertrude Anne. Public Schools as Mediating Structures : Linking Education and Community Development in Cape Breton Island. A thesis submitted in conformity with the requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. (Toronto) : Graduate Department of Education, University of Toronto, 1994. Pp (1),ii-iv,1-192 leaves, printed one-side only. Large 8vo, (8½ x 11 inches), green buckram, gilt lettering to front & spine.
Gertrude Anne MacIntyre (b. 1939).
"Public School Education and Community-Based Economic Development are interrelated. Both serve the individual and society. This study seeks to understand the relationship of the systems on which they are based, and the theories underlying them, on Cape Breton Island. The goal is to determine the possibilities and limitations of public school education in enhancing community-based development and local democracy and decision-making. [...]
The people of Cape Breton are now caught between a past marked by dependency and an un- certain future. They have to cope with local needs and with international trends that affect their lives.
The study focuses on the role of public schools as mediating structures in local development. Schools might serve as "intermediary ground" where efforts in development can be examined and discussed, and where ways mignt be found tor linking education and development. This would involve generating a new language for organizing a "perception and communication" that could make public school education and development more open, accountable, and democratic." (from the Abstract).
1. Education and Development in the Cape Breton Community.
2. Development in Cape Breton and Other Marginal Regions.
3. Mediating Structures and Regional Development.
4. Education and Regional Devebpment in Cape Breton in Historical Perspective.
5. The Rise of Community-Based Development in Cape Breton.
6. Inverness County: Planning From the Bottom Up.
7. The District School Board and Community-Based Economic Planning in Inverness County.
8. A Strategic Plan for Education in Inverness County.
9. Community-Based Development and Adult Re-Education [with much on Louisbourg].
10. Conclusion: Future Directions — Community and Empowerment in Education and Development.
Appendix 1: The Inverness District School Board.
Appendix 2: The Social Studies Curriculum.
Glossary of Acronyms.
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGES WILL RE REQUIRED TO ITS WEIGHT.
Minor pencil marks, else very good. 65.00
Title: Public Schools as Mediating Structures : Linking Education and Community Development in Cape Breton Island
Publisher: Graduate Department of Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, 1994,: 1994
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 107516