Quantity: 2 available
FORBES, Ernest R. Challenging the Regional Stereotype : Essays on the 20th Century Maritimes. Fredericton, New Brunswick : Acadiensis Press, 1989. First Printing. Pp (6),-220. 8vo (152 x 228 mm), red cardcovers, white & black lettering to covers, black lettering to spine, with small photo of Forbes on rear.
Ernest Robert "Ernie" Forbes (b. December 23, 1940, Bayfield, New Brunswick,– d. November 10, 2015, Oromocto , New Brunswick) Canadian historian who specialized in the regional history of the Maritimes.
No 8 in the Sources in the History of Atlantic Canada series.
"An important collection by a leading historian of the Maritime Provinces. In twelve authoritative, unpretentious essays written over the last two decades Forbes delivers a wide-ranging attack on the myth of Maritime conservatism and other conventional wisdoms. His topics include social reform and rumrunning, Maritime feminism and regional protest, freight rates and transport, social welfare and C.D. Howe. An introductory chapter offers the author's reflections on 'the Maritime stereotype' and his challenges to it. A final chapter focuses on the radical constitutional implications of free trade for the Atlantic Provinces. This new book is essential reading for understanding the region's past and present." - from the rear cover.
[un-numbered in the text] are :
1. Prohibition and the Social Gospel in Nova Scotia;
2. Rum in the Maritimes' Economy during the Prohibition Era;
3. In Search of a Post-Confederation Maritime Historiography;
4. Battles in Another War: Edith Archibald and the Halifax Feminist Movement;
5. The Ideas of Carol Bacchi and the Suffragists of Halifax;
6. The Origins of the Maritime Rights Movement;
7. Misguided Symmetry: The Destruction of the Regional Transportation Policy for the Maritimes;
8. The Triumph of Ideology: Transportation Policy and the Atlantic Provinces in the 1980s;
9. Cutting the Pie into Smaller Pieces: Matching Grants and Relief in the Maritime Provinces during the 1930s;
10. Consolidating Disparity: The Maritimes and the Industrialization of Canada during the Second World War;
11. Atlantic Provinces, Free Trade and the Canadian Constitution.
Very good. 30.00
Title: Challenging the Regional Stereotype : Essays on the 20th Century Maritimes. First Edition
Publisher: Acadiensis Press, Fredericton, 1989, ISBN:0919107222: 1989
ISBN Number: 0919107222
ISBN Number 13: 9780919107229
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 7773