Quantity: 1 available
GILCHRIST, Sid. Angola Awake. (Toronto) : The Ryerson Press, (February 1968). First Edition. Pp (4),v-xiii,(5)1-123,(3), + 12- page central section of b&w photos. 8vo, red cloth, gilt lettering to spine.
Dr. William Sidney ("Sid") Gilchrist (b. February 9, 1901, Pictou, Nova Scotia - d. June 14, 1970, Red Deer, Alberta) Canadian doctor and Christian missionary.
Some give birthplace as Poplar Hill, near River John. See Marble pp.179-180.
"A resume of Angola's history provides a background against which today's agony may be better understood. This searching volume is sure to stimulate those who read it to think more and care more about Angola and all of southern Africa." - from the dj flap.
Foreword by Garth Legge;
The chapters [un-numbered in the book] are :
1. Africa's Yesterday and Bantu Background in Angola;
2. An Early Venture in Portuguese-African Partnership
3. 1884: The African Pie and the Piece Called Angola;
4. The Portuguese Presence in Angola;
5. My Africa.
6. Angolan Ins and Outs;
7. Degrees of Violence on the Way to Freedom;
8. The Portuguese Delusion;
9. Christian Missions: Handmaidens of Colonialism?;
10. Christian Missions: Enemies of Colonialism?;
11. Nutritional Problems in Angola;
12. Missionaries and Their Home Governments;
13. The Tightening Noose.
Owner's name-ticket, newspaper clipping to rear endpaper, else very good in nicked and rubbed dustjacket. 25.00
Title: Angola Awake. First Edition in dustjacket
Publisher: Ryerson Press, 1968,: 1968
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 42565