Quantity: 1 available
SMITH, Rowland, (ed.). Exile and Tradition: Studies in African and Caribbean Literature. New York : Africana Publishing Company, Holmes & Meier Publishers & Dalhouse University Press, (1976). First Paperback Printing. "Printed in Great Britain". Pp. (4), [v]-xiv, 1-190,(4). 8vo. green card covers.
Rowland Smith (b. August 19, 1938, Johannesburg - d. October 20, 2008, Calgary) , Canadian scholar who became one of the founders of the Centre for African Studies at Dalhousie.
A collection of essays originally read at two conferences held at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
"Though the essays cover a wide range of topics, the basic themes are the traditions unique to African cultures and the alienation arising from the imposition of western codes and values on these cultures." - from rear cover.
Introduction by Rowland Smith;
1. Thoughts on the African novel by Chinua Achebe;
2. The limitations of universal critical criteria by D. Ibe Nwoga;
3. Aimé Césaire: the reclaiming of the land by Emile Snyder;
4. The myth of the Zombi by Maximilien Laroche;
5. Senghor or the song of exile by Max Dorsinville;
6. Two ways of explaining Africa: an insight into Camara Laye's L'Enfant Noir and Ferdinand Oyono's Le Vieux Nègre et la Médaille by Peter Igbonekwu Okeh;
7. Alienation in the modern novel of French North Africa before independence by Isaac Yetiv;
8. Towards an aesthetic of Sesotho prose by Daniel P. Kunene;
9. The Johannesburg Genre by Rowland Smith;
10. Writers in South Africa: the new Black poets by Nadine Gordimer;
11. Notions of religion, alienation and archetype in Arrow of God by G.D. Killam [G.D. 'Doug' Killam, then head of the English Department at Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, later of Guelph];
12. Tradition and continuity in African literature by Kofi Awoonor;
13. Drama and the African world-view by Wole Soyinka.
Reviewer's discreet name penned to first page, else very good. 25.00
Title: Exile and Tradition: Studies in African and Caribbean Literature. First Paperback Printing.
Publisher: Africana Publishing Company, Holmes & Meier Publishers: 1976
ISBN Number: 084190264X
ISBN Number 13: 9780841902640
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 45891