Quantity: 1 available
DeVINE, J.F. Beating Winter : This is the Account of the Principal Rovings of a Mediterranean Cruise Party; and an Added Appendix of a Tour into Sixteen Countries in Central Europe. Goshen, New York : Goshen Democrat Printing Company, n.d. . First Edition. Illustrated. Pp (),v-xix,(1),1-336,(2) + portrait frontispiece +  leaves plates,  leaves maps. 8vo, textured red cloth, gilt lettering to spine. Map on inside rear cover.
"This is an account of the principal rovings of a Mediterranean cruise party, and an added appendix of a tour into sixteen countries in Central Europe. It is a meager description of the world-renowned spots visited, taking up in a brief way the history of the countries, the genesis of the people and our daily doings" - from the title-page.
John Francis DeVine.
An account of an American party's sightseeing cruise aboard the S.S. Transylvania. Lots of "Gee, things are different at home" agogery; but on the whole the author is not unperceptive.
The chapters [unnumbered in the text] :
1. Bon Voyage and We Are Off [from New York City, on the S. S. Transylvania of the Cunard-Anchor Line, from Pier No. 54, at mid-day, January 26, 1932] ;
2. Madeira Our First Sight of Land;
3. Cadiz, One of the Atlantic's Early Neighors;
4. Seville, a Famous Andalusian City
5. Gibraltar and Its Interesting Surroundings;
6. Malaga, an Andalusian City;
7. We Approach Algiers Under Ideal Weather Conditions;
8. Off for Tunis and Carthage;
9. A Bit of Carthaginian History;
10. Off for Malta;
11. The Mother of Philosophers, Precursor of Civilization;
12. A Cruise Through the Dardanelles;
14. Out Into the Marmora;
15. Constantinople (Istanbul);
16. Constantinople Like Ancient Gaul Is Divided Into Three Parts;
17. Pera Galata, the European Quarter;
18. Across the Bosphorus;
19. A Glimpse of the Black Sea;
21. Aphrodite's Isle [Cyprus];
22. Brief Stop at Larnaca;
24. The Crusaders;
25. Palestine of Today;
26. The Phoenicians;
27. Optional Tours in Palestine;
30. The Wondrous Nile;
32. Memphis World's Oldest City;
33. Pyramids and Sphinx;
34. Thebes, Luxor and Karnak;
35. Alexandria's Hectic Career;
[So Egypt covered on pp-176-250]
38. French Possessions [including Corsica, Elba, Monaco;
39. Headed for Home.
Appendix : Tour Into Central Europe during the Summer of 1930 [..., we left New York harbor, on the S.S. Lapland, about noon, June 14th, 1930] [Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands, Belgium, England, Scotland, Ireland}. Helpful Hints.
Repair to spine, occasional light foxing,else very good. Signed by DeVine on the flyleaf. 125.00
Title: Beating Winter. signed
Publisher: Goshen Democrat Pr. Co., 1932,: 1932
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 41047