Quantity: 3 available
TOWNSEND, Elizabeth, Laura B. MORGAN, Judith FINGARD and Graham MORGAN. With Margaret C. FAY and Shelley Davis FINSON. A Sentinel on the Street : St. Matthew's United Church, Halifax, 1749-1999. (Halifax, NS) : Nimbus Publishing Ltd., (1999). First Printing. Pp. (7),viii-xii,1-193,(3). With 43 b&w photos as well as other illustrations in the text. 8vo (163 x 238 mm), purple art- and photo-illustrated cardcovers, with white lettering to spine, yellow lettering to covers.
The history of the downtown Halifax mainstay.
"For over 140 years, St. Matthew's Church has stood as a sentinel on Barrington Street in downtown Halifax. But St. Matthew's began as a pioneer congregation in 1749, whose original home, Mather's Meeting House (on the southwest corner of Prince and Hollis Streets), was destroyed by fire in 1857. This book follows St. Matthew's through its 250-year history as a congregation of the faithful, and as a place of faith within the Halifax community." - rear cover.
1. "Conscience of Living in Unity and Concord" : From Dissenting Congregation to Presbyterian Kirk [with sections on Week-Day Schools, Sunday Schools, Helping Those in Need, Direct Relief, Women's Associations, &c];
2. "The Finest Church in the Lower Provinces" : St. Matthew's in its Presbyterian Era [sections on Dalhousie College, Halifax Presbyterian College, City Missions, Foreign Missions, Choice of Clergy, Changes in Worship, Music, Activities for the Young; &c];
3. "In the Direction of a Larger More, Inclusive Fellowship" : St. Matthew's in its United Church Era [sections on Impact of the Second World War, Gender and Church Life, Youth Work, Social Justice Ministry, &c];
4. "The Church is Sort of Part of Me": Participating in the Life of St. Matthew's Today [sections on Helping, Music, Social Activities, Youth, Identity, Church as a Stabilizing Force, Spiritual values; Tensions and Problems of Identity, &c].
2. Presidents, United Church Women UCW.
With select bibliography and index.
Very good. 12.00
Title: A Sentinel on the Street : St. Matthew's United Church Halifax 1749-1999 First Edition
Publisher: Nimbus, Halifax, 1999, ISBN:1551092883: 1999
ISBN Number: 1551092883
ISBN Number 13: 9781551092881
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 40208