Quantity: 1 available
McCORMICK, Christopher, (ed.). The Westray Chronicles : A Case Study in Corporate Crime. Halifax : Fernwood Publishing, . First Edition. Pp (6),-287,(1). With 3 b&w photos, many diagrams, some cartoons, maps, and other illustrations in the text. 8vo (152 x 228 mm), art-illustrated blue-green cardcovers, with black lettering to spine.
Christopher Ray McCormick (b. 1956) was teaching at St. Thomas University, Fredericton at the time of publication.
"Was the Westray mining disaster a tragic accident or a corporate crime gone unpunished? The Westray Chronicles constitutes one of the few book-length case studies of corporate crime in Canada. Together, the fourteen authors - journalists, lawyers, a former Westray miner and his wife, an engineer, a public relations specialist, and academics in in the fields of business administraion, management, criminology, sociology and psychology - create a holistic picture of what happened at the mine. From an analysis of the geology of the underlying coal seam to an assessment of the f\difficulties of pinning down legal responsibilities, the contributors offer challenging new ways to think about workplace disasters and occupational injuries." - from rear.
Stewart Donovan's poem "Liscombe Sanctuary."
1. McCormick's "Prelude to Disaster."
2. Shaun and Shirley Comish's "The Road to Recovery is Long."
Working Condititions : Prefiguring Disaster.
3. Patrick Whiteway's "Engineering the Westray Mine Disaster."
4. Harry Glasbeek and Eric Tucker's "Death by Consensus at Westray?
5. Gerald J.S. Wilde's "The Awareness and Acceptance of Risk at Westray."
6. Timothy Hynes and Pushkala Prasad's "The Normal Violation of Safety Rules."
The Aftermath : Dealing with Disaster.
7. Trudie Richards' "Public Relations and the Westray Mine Explosion."
8. Dean Jobb's "Legal Disaster: Westray and the Justice System."
9. John McMullan and Sherman Hinze's "Westray: The Press, Ideology, and Corporate Crime."
10. Susan Dodd's "Unsettled Accounts after Westray."
With end-notes and references.
Some orange marking to chapter 10, else very good. 25.00
Title: The Westray Chronicles : A Case Study in Corporate Crime. First Edition
Publisher: Fernwood Publishing, Halifax, 1999, ISBN:1895686326: 1999
ISBN Number: 1895686326
ISBN Number 13: 9781895686326
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 40220