DARRACH, Claude K. JENSON, L.B.
Title: From a Coastal Schooner's Log
Publisher:  Nova Scotia Museum, 1979, 1979
ISBN Number: 0919680100 / 9780919680104
Seller ID: 85274
DARRACH, Claude K. From a Coastal Schooner's Log. Illustrations by L.B. Jenson. Halifax, N.S. : Nova Scotia Museum, 1979. First Edition. Several maps in the text. Pp (4),v-x,142. 8vo, grey card covers.
Claude Kenneth Darrach of Herring Cove.
"This is the story of two rival skippers, Abe Young and Mosde Griffin, and their efforts to get the best of one another in the days when trading schooners were the lifeline of small settlements along the Nova Scotia coast. Although told as fiction, it is based on the personal experience and reminiscences of the author who has pursued a sea-faring career all his life, as did his father before him. We learn something of the life in these coastal communities, their recreation and their commerce, and get a real tang of the sea in descriptions of life aboard the Western Belle and Lucy B. as they carry their cargo to such places as Sheet Harbour, Canso, Arichat and the Magdalen Islands." - from rear cover.
1. Rival Skippers;
2. In the Hands of a Tugboat Skipper;
3. "One of Three Things Got to Happen";
4. A Visit to the "Bucket of Blood" [A Halifax drinking establishment];
5. Choppy Water;
6. Ice Bound;
7. Anchors Aweigh ;
8. Meandering Ashore;
9. St. Peter's Canal and the Bras D'or Lakes;
10. Under Four Lowers [near Cranberry Island];
11. Sighted in the Nick of Time;
12. "Lucy B." Takes the Lead; 13. Northerly Squalls;
14. Glad Tidings;
15. A Full Cargo and Flying Light;
16. North Bound through the Canso Straits;
17. Like Mountains out of the Sea;
18. The Fall Charters. With Epilogue.
Name, else very good. 12.50